Equity Bank Limited - Tanzania, is a commercial bank in Tanzania. It is one of the commercial banks licensed by the Bank of Tanzania, the country's banking regulator.
Equity Bank Limited - Tanzania opened its doors for the first time on 9th February 2012 with two branches; Quality Centre Dar es Salaam and Arusha. The Bank now has a total of 8 branches 6 in Dar es Salaam one in Arusha and one in Mwanza. As at end June 2014, the bank had mobilized over 85,675 customer accounts.
Equity Bank Limited Tanzania is a member of the Equity Bank Group, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, which maintains financial services subsidiaries in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania and South Sudan.
Some of the recent accolades and recognition that Equity Bank Limited has received include;
- November 2013: Equity Bank Group Chairman Peter Munga was named Chairman of the Year during the 4th edition of the annual Capital Markets Awards. Munga was celebrated for laying the vision that became Equity Bank and promoting inclusivity in the financial sector.
- November 2013: Equity Bank was recognized amongst Kenya’s Top Tax Payers 2013 by Kenya Revenue Authority: 2013 Distinguished Tax Payer, Top Ten Category. The Bank is committed to continue upholding the highest standards of corporate governance and to make a contribution in building the nation
- October 2013: Dr. James Mwangi was awarded the African Business Leader of the Year by Africa Investor. Dr. Mwangi has joined a Pan African initiative that promotes private sector participation in infrastructure and intra-African investment. The Pan African initiative brings together over 150 of the continent's most influential business and government leaders. The award is given to the business leader whose organization is well-run with financial results increasing year on year, and embracing innovation, and model corporate citizen
- April 2013: Equity Bank was voted Best Bank in Kenya at the Think Business Banking Awards 2013. The Bank emerged tops ahead of 42 other banks for the second year running. The top award came on the strength of regional reach, strong brand pull and innovation.
- April 2013: Equity Bank was named Best Bank in Kenya Tier 1 (banks with an asset base exceeding Ksh 150 billion) at the annual Banking Awards 2013. The Bank currently has a sturdy asset base of over Ksh 252 billion.
- April 2013: Equity Bank’s focus on affordability and inclusivity was recognized with the Bank with Lowest Charges award at the Banking Awards 2013.
- April 2013: Equity Bank was voted the best bank in Kenya in terms of customer deposits amongst banks with a deposit base of over Ksh 75 billion in a recent survey on the performance of Kenyan banks released by accounting and consulting firm RSM Ashvir.
- June, 2012: Equity Bank CEO and Managing Director Dr. James Mwangi was named 2012 Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur of the Year at a ceremony held in Monte Carlo, Monaco. Dr Mwangi was picked from among the 59 country finalists shortlisted for the title across 51 countries, becoming the first business leader from Sub Saharan Africa to win this prestigious award.
- June 2012: Equity Bank was awarded Best Managed Company in Africa award by EuroMoney magazine. The Bank won the award on a strong brand pull, regional footprint and corporate governance, based on a survey of market analysts at leading banks and research institutes in Africa.
- June 2012: Equity Bank was awarded the Most Innovative Bank in Africa Award at the African Bankers Awards held in Arusha, Tanzania. The annual awards reward outstanding talent and achievement in Africa's financial sector.
- May 2012: Equity Bank was named Best Bank in Kenya at the Banking Awards 2012, while also receiving the Best Bank (Tier 1) and the Best Bank in Microfinance awards at the same event.
- September 2011: Equity Bank Group was listed as one of the 16 global emerging Markets New Sustainability Champions by a World Economic Forum Report in 2011. Equity Bank Group was recognized as the only financial service provider in the Emerging markets which meets the threshold of sustainability based on a criteria covering, innovation, growth and corporate sustainability.
- Sept 2011: Africa Investor named Equity CEO Dr. James Mwangi as the African Banker of the year for the second year in a row.
- Sept 2011: Africa Investor named Equity Bank as the Best Initiative in Support of SMEs and the Millennium Development Goals.
- 2010: Africa investor named Equity Bank as the Ai 40 Company of the Year.
- 2010: The Financial Times named Equity CEO Dr. James Mwangi among the 50 emerging market business leaders in BRIC countries - Brazil, Russia, India and China - and other emerging market economies - who have shaped the economic performance of their respective regions. The Financial Times recognized Dr Mwangi for transforming the lives of many people in Kenya including house helps and low income earners who have been able to borrow as little as Kshs 500 from the Bank.
- In June 2009 Equity Bank was named the Emerging Markets Most Sustainable Bank of the Year in Africa and the Middle East.
- Equity Bank is the holder of the 2007 Global Vision Award in Microfinance "for initiating a concept of the future that will shape the Global Economy".
Equity offers financial services through its wide network of branches in Kenya, Uganda, South Sudan, Rwanda and Tanzania (clickable links to branches in all the countries) supported by Alternate Delivery Channels which include:
- Visa Branded ATMs
- Points of Sale (POS) where customers shop; pay and withdraw cash in leading retail outlets.
- Internet and mobile banking channels The Bank runs on a Global Robust State of the Art Information Technology Computer System supported by Infosys, HP, Oracle and Microsoft.
- Agency Outlets